Welcome to Reflections of a Buddhist Pole Dancer!



Thursday, May 6, 2010

Keeping My Word

Trust me on this one: when your child is diagnosed with a chronic illness you (as the parent), will promise them just about anything in order to try to ease the pain.

When Macy was slapped with the diagnosis of diabetes and landed in the Children's Hospital late 2008, we promised her a trip to her favorite place in the world, Disneyland. Three weeks after she left the hospital Brian lost his job and for us, like so many others, 2009 was a year of financial stress.

Macy still asked about Disneyland. We still promised we'd go. But we had no idea how and when.

A few weeks ago Brian and I finally concluded that while we could put the money to so many other things, we needed to keep our word and get to the Happiest Place on Earth sooner than later.

And off we went!

Five day passes.
Four nights' accommodations.
Three days missed from school.

We were in the parks from open to close. We played and played and played some more! It was a trip I'll never forget, and I know it meant the world to Macy.

As we were crossing a bridge in California Adventure I gave Macy a dime and told her to throw it in the pond and make ten wishes. She paused and said, "But Mommy I don't have any more wishes..." When I inquired why not she replied, "I always wished we could go to Disneyland!"

Keeping my word never felt so good.

No comments: